SPURS (1) 3 -v- 2 (2) EVERTON

Tuesday 5th September 2000
Kick Off Time 19:45 
White Hart Lane

The Two Line Ups...

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2)

Everton (4-4-2)

13. Neil Sullivan

1. Paul Gerard

2. Steve Carr

2. Steve Watson

18. Ben Thatcher (off 37)

5. David Weir 

5. Sol Campbell (Capt.)

6. David Unsworth (Capt.)

6. Chris Perry 

7. Niclas Alexandersson 

7. Darren Anderton (off 17)

8 Alex Nayarko

8. Tim Sherwood

16. Tomas Graveson

4. Steffen Freund

10. Stephen Hughes (off 75)

11. Sergei Rebrov

14. Francis Jeffers 

9. Les Ferdinand (off 85)

18. Paul Gascoigne (off 81)

17. Oyvind Leonhardsen

23. Mark Hughes (off 81)


21. Stephen Clemance (on 19)

20. Alec Cleland (75)

3. Mauricio Taricco (on 37)

19. Joe Max-Moore (81)

10. Steffen Iversen (on 87)

21. Danny Cadamateri (81)

Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 Everton
Goalscorers: Francis Jeffers (25) Alex Nyarko (44) Sergei Rebrov (45, 61[pen]). Les Ferdinand (62)

 Sergei Rebrov celebrates 2nd goal for club!

Bookings: Unsworth, Rebrov, Alexandersson
Red Cards: None
Attendance: 35, 316
Referee: B. Knight (very poor)
In Match Stats
Provided by opta soccer

Match Report

Paul Smith  (Spurs Odyssey)

For a team allegedly decimated by injury, Everton overawed a na´ve and lackadaisical Tottenham defence for much of the first half. If it hadn't been for a glaring miss by Francis Jeffers, and some salvage work from the defence when Alexandersson was allowed through a failed offside trap, then the home side, inspired by Sergei Rebrov and Stephen Carr, would have left themselves far too much to do. As it was, a timely goal just before the interval, and a fighting display after the tea break once again meant that Spurs came back from behind against one of the few sides to dread their visits to White Hart Lane, as they have yet to win there in the Premiership.

11 million pound signing Sergei Rebrov capped a fine personal display with two goals, and Les Ferdinand, allowed his first start this campaign, scored his second of the season to seal the points. Both Darren Anderton and Ben Thatcher were substituted through injury in the first half. Anderton has a groin strain, and Thatcher a chest injury, which was restricting his breathing. Some fans will think he was removed due to his glaring error (an underhit back pass) that led to Jeffers scoring the first goal, but Sol Campbell could be clearly seen signalling for the change on Thatcher's behalf. Taricco, when he came on, had a fine game, leading many successful attacks with his ball play down the left, and may have earnt his place back for the short term at least.

Right from the start, Spurs should have taken the lead as shots were whizzing to and fro across Gerrard's goalmouth. It was Anderton who had the last crack, but his effort was wide. After 4 minutes, a Mark Hughes effort was deflected for a corner, taken by Gazza (given another rousing reception by the home crowd). Hughes headed goalward, but Sullivan was equal to the attempt. Jeffers' great chance came following a clever back-heel from Mark Hughes, which left the defence stranded. Jeffers only had Sullivan to beat but pushed his shot to the left of Sullivan's goal.

Everton took the lead after 25 minutes, when Thatcher woefully under hit his easy back-pass to Sullivan, and the prowling Jeffers pounced gratefully on the chance. This defensive error made me angrier than I have been since Steve McMamanan beat Ian Walker with the assistance of a bobble a few years ago. Steffen Freund tried to equalise with a shot held by Gerrard at the second attempt, even though it was none too powerful.

Alexandersson had a powerful shot rise just above the woodwork, as he was presented with the ball by Thatcher after a Gascoigne corner, and then before we knew it, Spurs were two behind as Nyarko was allowed the freedom of the left side of midfield to allow himself a right foot shot to the bottom right corner. Spurs at least gave themselves a fighting chance after Ferdinand prodded a Clemence free kick against the post. Perry tried to reach the rebound, but it was Sergei Rebrov who gratefully swept the ball into the net.

The whole team had played poorly in that first half, but I have to say that Sol Campbell was as guilty as anybody of poor passing, and being found statue like in the face of swift passing an moving by the opposition.

The attitude changed in the second half, and several attacks came down the right, as Sherwood combined with Carr and the forwards. Rebrov showed many classy touches, and sometimes his colleagues failed to read his game. The equaliser came as the Spurs pressure mounted and the Everton defence crumbled, despite Walter Smith's switching of Graveson to the defence, allowing ex-Arsenal player Stephen Hughes to move forward from his makeshift left back covering position.

Stephen Hughes was penalised for impeding Carr's progress down the right. The free kick led to a corner by Clemence, and Sol Campbell's header was saved at point blank range by Gerrard. The ball bounced up and Graveson was the guilty party as he deliberately handled the ball. No Everton players argued with the decision, but successfully sheltered the miscreant who was not identified by the referee or his assistant. Graveson was therefore lucky to stay on the field, but Rebrov was cool as he stroked the penalty home.

Within 2 minutes, Spurs had the lead. A cross from Carr reached Sherwood on the left of the area. He returned the ball, and Les Ferdinand was on hand to apply the finishing touch, only to disappear under the celebrating team! Some smooth one touch passing by Spurs down the right flank eventually led to a good lay-off by Ferdinand for Rebrov, but the Ukrainian's curled shot was wide.

In truth, Sullivan was not really troubled in the second period, but there was some pressure on the defence as Walter Smith put the fresh legs of Cadamarteri and poacher Joe-Max Moore on to try and salvage some return. After the shocking start, I did not expect to be going home happy tonight!

Thanks to Paul Smith!

Men of the Match 

Steve Carr and Sergei Rebrov. Overall, the performance from each individual from Spurs was not satisfying. Too many times, each player gave the ball away and rarely looked up for the game except these two lads. Both players featured for their nations last Saturday. But you couldn't have told as both put in spirited performances to help Spurs get back into the game against Everton after going 2-0 down!

Goal of the match

Both goals that were scored via open play were down to a bit of luck, but Sergei's finish for his first goal was excellent. The cross came in and Sol's sliding shot rebounded of the post and wasn't cleared until Rebrov, as cool as an ice cube, sliced the ball home and gave Spurs some hope of recovery in the second half!

Save of the Match

Paul Gerrard pulled off a superb save from Les Ferdinand to keep Everton within a goal scoring distance from an equalizer. It was a cool crisp shot from Ferdinand and Gerrard reached up and even held the ball with both hands!

Moan of the Match

Poor old Darren Anderton and Ben Thatcher going off injured was one of the low lights of the game, but the real fart ass of the match was Mr. B. Knight. The idiot booked Rebrov for a nothing challenge, He should have sent off Graveson for the handball and he should also have sent off Steve Watson. Ben Thatcher ran down the left wing with tons of room and Watson charged at Thatcher and knocked him on the floor eventually leaving Thatcher too go off the field with Breathing difficulties.

Season 2000-2001