Tottenham Hotspur (0) 0 - 0 (0) Manchester City

Match Report

Saturday 23rd September 2000
Kick Off 15:00
 White Hart Lane

The Two Line Ups...

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2)

Manchester City (3-5-2)

13. Neil Sullivan 

1. Nicky Weaver 

2. Steve Carr

2. Jeff Whitley

18. Ben Thatcher (off 87)

3. Spencer Prior 

32. Ramon Vega

4. Steve Howey (off 19)

George Graham

6. Chris Perry 

5. Paul Ritchie 

Joe Royle


17. Oyvind Leonhardsen

6. Alf Inge Haaland 

10. Steffen Iversen 7. Gereard Weikens

4. Steffen Freund

8. Kevin Horlock

8. Tim Sherwood

9. Danny Tiatto (off 48)

9. Les Ferdinand (on 81)

10. Paolo Wanchope

11. Sergei Rebrov

11. Paul Dickov (off 60)


12. Gary Doherty (on 81)

12. Crooks (on 19)

21. Luke Young (on 87)

13. Mark Kennedy (on 48)

No Subs

14. George Weah (on 60)

FA Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester City
Goalscorers:  No Goalscorer


Bookings:    K. Horlock (foul), Crooks (dissent)
Red Cards:    No Red Cards
Attendance:    36, 064
Referee:   Mr. S. Bennett (let the game flow but very poor)

In Match Stats

Provided by opta soccer

Match Report

Spurs knocked and knocked but City refused to let any goals in as we suffered another frustrating afternoon in the Premiership on Saturday.

Where last week's hero - or villain as far as we were concerned - was Charlton goalkeeper Dean Kiely, this time it was City's Nicky Weaver.

It was almost the Weaver versus Sergei Rebrov show as the England Under-21 star saved time and again from the Ukrainian. Weaver also kept out Oyvind Leonhardsen and when he was beaten, Rebrov's 'goal' was disallowed for offside.

The first half was a stop-start affair with City seemingly happy to soak up pressure. We enjoyed plenty of possession but failed to create many chances.

We actually came closest to scoring as early as the second minute. Sergei Rebrov's delightful flick released Les Ferdinand whose first-time volley was beaten out by Nicky Weaver. Ferdinand lobbed the loose ball back in only for Steffen Iversen's header to be cleared off the line by Gerard Wiekens.

Ferdinand had a penalty appeal turned down and could only head Chris Perry's deep cross straight at Weaver.

Play stagnated for a while before Rebrov's audacious flick up and volley from 30 yards had Weaver scrambling across goal. Iversen then blazed over after work from Ferdinand and Rebrov.

Things livened up in the last few minutes. City had their best chance - Paulo Wanchope's header from Alf Haaland's free-kick forced a fingertip save from Sullivan - before play switched to the other end again.

Iversen fired wide after controlling a long ball and Stephen Carr almost made something out if nothing in the last minute, winning a 50-50 and feeding Iversen whose cross was flicked off the head of the on-rushing Ferdinand by Lee Crooks.

The second half exploded into life. With only a minute gone Ben Thatcher beat Danny Tiatto and his cross was headed onto the bar by Ramon Vega.

Ferdinand was inches away from Freund's cross and on the hour, Weaver was up to the task when Iversen let fly from 25 yards.

Rebrov then broke the deadlock - only for his 62nd-minute effort to be ruled offside. A minute later the Ukrainian's cut back found Oyvind Leonhardsen just 10 yards out but this time Weaver saved with his feet.

George Weah upped City's attacking options when he came on for Paul Dickov and soon created the visitors' best chance, releasing Wanchope for a one-on-one chance against Sullivan which the lanky striker flicked wide.

Rebrov continued to look our best avenue for a goal and after 74 minutes his 20-yard screamer was superbly tipped aside by Weaver. City then broke swiftly but Wanchope's tame shot was gathered by Sullivan.

It was Rebrov against Sullivan again after 86 minutes as a high ball was won by substitute Gary Doherty and our 11m connected perfectly again from 18 yards - Weaver was there again with a low save to his left.

In truth we didn't create the same clear-cut opportunities that we managed at Charlton but with City happy to defend, we were left frustrated at not taking all three points.


Men of the Match 

Ramon Vega was surprisingly the best player on the pitch. Rock solid at the back and even when going forward he had that extra spring in his tale. Ben Thatcher also put in a good performance attacking and defending wise. His crosses were usually quite good and he made a very passionate contribution to the match. Sergei Rebrov made a great contribution and he is clearly growing in confidence.

Goal of the match

No goals, no goal of the match!

Save of the Match

Nicky Weaver pulled off two stunning saves., The first from Iversen when he made a great strike from 30 yards and Weaver managed to hold on to the ball. His second came from Rebrov when he dribbled across the area and curled his shot and forced Weaver to tip it wide!

Moan of the Match

The final score! After al the pressure we put on them we still failed to hit the back of the net! Three games we have gone now without scoring! Not good enough.

home features season 2000 history e-mail
home features season 2000 history e-mail