Leeds United 4-3 Tottenham Hotspur

-Match Report-

Saturday 30th September 2000
Kick Off 15:00
 Elland Road

The Two Line Ups...

Leeds United (4-4-2)

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2)

1. Nigel Martyn

13. Neil Sullivan

2. Gary Kelly

2. Steve Carr

3. Ian Harte

18. Ben Thatcher

4. Danny Mills

32. Ramon Vega

David O'Leary

5. Lucas Radebe (Capt.) (off 45)

6. Chris Perry

George Graham


6. Olivier Dacourt (off 38)

10. Steffen Iversen

7. Lee Bowyer 4. Steffen Freund

8. Erik Bakke

8. Tim Sherwood (Capt.)

9. Mark Viduka (off 80)

9. Les Ferdinand (off 31)

10. Alan Smith

11. Sergei Rebrov

11.Dominic Matteo

17. Oyvind Leonhardsen


12. Stephen McPhail (on 38)

7. Darren Anderton (on 31)

13. Danny Hay (on 45)

No Subs

14. Michael Bridges (on 80)

No Subs 

FA Premier League: Leeds United 4-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Goalscorers:  Sergei Rebrov 36', 73', Mark Viduka 55', 56', Alan Smith 59', 63', Chris Perry 60', 


Bookings:    Steffen Iversen (foul), Ramon Vega (foul)
Red Cards:    No Red Cards as of yet
Attendance:    37,562
Referee:   Neale Barry

In Match Stats








Provided by opta soccer

-Match Report-

Source - www.spurs.co.uk

Ten mad minutes sent us to Elland back in an amazing Premiership encounter at Leeds.

We deservedly led 1-0 at half-time but an intense, scrappy affair in the first half hardly gave an indication of what was to follow after the break.

Leeds hit back through Mark Viduka after 54 minutes, the Aussie made it 2-1 a minute later, Alan Smith headed home the third after 59 minutes, Chris Perry pulled one back a minute later only for another Smith header to make it 4-2 after 64 minutes.

It took just another 10 minutes for Rebrov to claim his second for 4-3 but by then, the damage had been done.

If the second half had the lot, the first half had very little. We had to wait 11 minutes for the first effort on goal - Mark Viduka's clever turn ruined by a tame shot wide.

Sergei Rebrov then got in on the act for the first time but his shot went straight at Nigel Martyn after he held off the challenge of Lucas Radebe.

Stephen Carr started to enjoy some space down the right flank and a typical break set up Oyvind Leonhardsen after 18 minutes. Carr skipped past Olivier Dacourt and his cross fell to the Norwegian at the far post but Gary Kelly threw himself in front of his volley.

We were guilty of giving away a few needless free-kicks in dangerous areas in the next few minutes but the closest Leeds came was when Ian Harte's 22nd-minute effort was deflected over.

The ground then went silent as Les Ferdinand and Radebe crashed to the floor after a aerial challenge. Neither player moved until Radebe slowly sat up but Ferdinand remained still. A stretcher was called and the big striker was taken straight down the tunnel, presumably with concussion. Darren Anderton was given the call to replace him.

Leeds were then disrupted by an injury to Dacourt, replaced by McPhail and we grabbed the lead just a minute later.

Carr played a one-two with Iversen, found Rebrov 20 yards out and the Ukrainian hit a first-time shot which seemed to go through Martyn.

Leeds then lost Radebe through injury and the final attempts of the half came via Anderton, from distance, the first straight at Martyn, the second just wide.

The second half exploded into life after 53 minutes. Bowyer's corner was headed out by Freund, Bowyer lobbed the ball back in, Neil Sullivan failed to deal with it and Viduka lashed home the equaliser from close range.

Leeds took the lead when Viduka diverted Kelly's 30-yard effort past a wrong-footed Sullivan a minute later and it was 3-1 after 59 minutes when Smith was allowed to head home Bowyer's free-kick from close range.

We went straight up the other end and pulled one back when Chris Perry headed home Anderton's free-kick but that joy didn't last long as Smith was allowed another free header from Bowyer's corner for 4-2. All that in the space of 10 minutes.

Smith then hit the underside of the bar only for us to hit back again with 16 minutes left. Anderton swung in a corner, Iversen headed down and Rebrov's overhead kick was judged over the line by the assistant referee.

As the ground drew breath, substitute Michael Bridges forced a fine save from Sullivan.

We poured forward for an equaliser but the closest we came in the final minutes was when Carr broke again, pulled the ball back, Martyn spilled it but Sherwood could only poke the ball wide.

An amazing game - shame about the result.

-Men of the Match-

Sergei Rebrov scored twice and that does it for me. His forth goal of the season but we were very unlucky not to go out and actually get something but still we dropped 4 very VERY bad goals.

-Goal of the match-

Tottenham's only goal came from Sergei Rebrov. Good Tottenham play down the right from Darren Anderton and Steve Carr put Rebrov through and he slid the ball under the oncoming Leeds keeper and gave Tottenham a deserved lead!

-Save of the Match-

It's hard to point one particular one out, but Gustafson did pull of a number of good saves from various Tottenham shots! Steffen Iversen seemed to be one particular victim.

-Moan of the Match-

Ramon Vega!

home features season 2000 history e-mail